Install Sun Java 6 in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
1) Add PPA repository for Sun Java
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sun-java-community-team/sun-java6
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 7E38C0AE69286BF825C037D8D8D75E403EBCE749
gpg: requesting key 3EBCE749 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 3EBCE749: public key "Launchpad PPA for Community Team to provide regular Sun Java Updates" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
2) Update repos
sudo apt-get update
3) Install Java6 JRE and Plugin for browser
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
gsfonts-x11 java-common odbcinst odbcinst1debian1 sun-java6-bin unixodbc
default-jre equivs binfmt-support sun-java6-plugin ia32-sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts ttf-kochi-gothic
ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming libmyodbc odbc-postgresql tdsodbc unixodbc-bin
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gsfonts-x11 java-common odbcinst odbcinst1debian1 sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre unixodbc
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.5MB of archives.
After this operation, 105MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Cryptkeeper is a GNOME applet for managing EncFS encrypted folders. To install it, make sure the Universe Repository is enabled and install it with Synaptic. Alternatively, install it from the command line with:
sudo apt-get install cryptkeeper
The installation should have added your userid to the fuse group. If it didn’t, you can add it with: sudo addgroup userid fuse where userid is your log in ID. Because your group settings have changed, you need to log out and log back in. Once you are logged back in, you can start Cryptkeeper from the menu with Applications->System Tools->Cryptkeeper.
You should see an icon in your System Tray that looks like a pair of keys. This can vary a bit based on your current icon theme. This is the Cryptkeeper icon.
1. Click mouse button 1 on the Cryptkeeper icon and select New encrypted folder.
2. Enter a name for your new folder and select a location for it. I’m calling mine safe and putting it in my home folder.
3. Click the Forward button.
4. In the next screen, enter a password twice and click Forward.
5. Click OK in the last screen. Depending on your Gnome settings, a Nautilus File Manager window may have popped up for your new encrypted folder. Cryptkeeper actually creates a small encrypted folder that it mounts as an encrypted drive. Create a basic text file in your new encrypted folder to try it out. To hide your encrypted folder, click the Cryptkeeper icon and uncheck the box next to it. To reopen your encrypted folder, just click on the Cryptkeeper icon and check the box next to it. Enter your encryption password at the prompt, and you’re in
Playing around with Geany on Jaunty…found this error in compiling
Can’t locate B/Bytecode.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5….blah blah.
Jaunty distributes perl 5.10 which has a couple of changes 5.9.4.. removal of B::Bytecode module was one of them due to its unreliability.
to correct this in geany, goto Build->Set Includes and arguments
change perl -MO=Bytecode,-H,-o”%f”c “%f” to
simply this perl -c “%f” ..
The race of browsers is on. Earlier it was assumed that Firefox and IE would compete for a larger market share but now there are more candidates.I conducted a Acid3 test on the browsers and got this.
Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 is quite convincing with a score of 87 out of 100.
Market share – 19.46 %
Opera 9.52 build 10108 had a score of 84/100 which was quite near to firefox
Market share – 0.69 %
Google chrome build 1798 had failures but I am sure the current build 3604 would fix a few of them. It well scored 75/100
Market share – 0.78 % Continue reading